Tuesday, January 15, 2008

That $10 note

A few days ago, I attended a seminar. The speaker asked, “What should you do next after attending the seminar?” Unanimously everybody replied “Take action!” He did not believe us and he wanted to test it out. He took out a $10 note from his wallet, and immediately I knew what he wanted to do. So I said to myself quietly, “I will get the $10 note this time.”

The speaker waved the $10 note in the air, “I am giving this $10 note away. Who wants it?” The hall was in complete silent and nobody moved. I hesitated, also did not move.

“Ok, let me repeat. I will give this $10 note to the first person who comes forward”. I hesitated for two seconds and decided to get up, but one guy was slightly ahead of me and the speaker handed the $10 note to him. The speaker smiled at me, “Why are you so slow?”

“Only 2 of you came forward. What about the rest of you? Why are you sitting there?”

The message from the speaker was loud and clear – all of the people know that they need to take action, but most will just talk about taking action, some will take action, a few will take immediate action, and only a handful will sustain till they achieve their goals.

I came across this $10 activity many times in different seminars or training sessions over the years, and I learnt different lessons each time:

- 1st time – I did not get up from my seat as I did not believe that the speaker was serious about giving the money away. I learnt about my belief system and what mental model is.

- 2nd time – I knew about the trick but I still did not get up as I was too shy to go to the front stage and afraid to be laughed at. I learnt that I care too much about how others see me and I am not a risk taker.

- 3rd time – I did not think I stand a chance as I was seated quite far back, so I did not even bother to try. I learnt that sometimes I give up even before I start as I am deterred by the obstacles lying ahead.

- 4th time – this time I was seated at the first few rows but I still did not get up as I thought the 10 stake was just too small. I learnt that motivation is important and I am one who is motivated by challenging goals.

- 5th, 6th, 7th and … - I did nothing as the $10 activity meant nothing to me anymore. I learnt that I have this “I think I know it all” attitude and my mind had been conditioned not to respond anymore.

This time round when the game was played, I made up my mind that I would take the $10 note away from the speaker and this decision prompted me into action. Unfortunately, I “paid the price” for that few seconds’ hesitation and ended up with nothing.

What’s the lesson I learnt? Once I make up my mind, take action immediately. Opportunities do not wait for me and if I hesitate or procrastinate, they will be gone!

No comments: