Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Joy of Giving

“For it is in giving that we receive.” ~ St. Francis of Assisi

A SMS came in when I was driving. “Thank you for your support, guidance and understanding. Every year you gave me a book. I have been just receiving and not giving …”

This came from one of my staff, which was totally unexpected. When I stepped into the office, I found a few Christmas presents on my desk. At the bottom was a Chinese book, not wrapped but with a gift tag inside. I was a bit surprised but did not think much about it until the SMS came in. Yes, this must have been the 7th year that I give her a Christmas present, and this is the 1st time that she gives me a Christmas present.

Frankly speaking, every year when I gave my staff Christmas presents, I did not expect anything from them. To me, giving presents is just my way of showing appreciation to them, so it doesn’t really bother me when I do not receive anything in return. Therefore I was surprised when I receive the SMS from my staff.

I can’t remember when I started this tradition, but I know I have been faithfully doing this for many years. I remember there was one year that I decided to break this tradition as i was busy and could not find the time to shop, but the “guilt” soon overcame me as Christmas got closer. In the end, I rushed down to the shopping mall from work on the very last day and bought all the presents.

To be able to give is a joy. I feel good about giving. I am glad that I am able and in a position to give. I am happy that I can bring a little joy and smile to those whom I give. I will continue to give as long as I can …

"Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.”
~ Elizabeth Asquith Bibesco

No comments: