Saturday, December 8, 2007

Nice gesture from a gentleman

I did not expect the place to be so packed and the car park was full. After circling around for 2 times, I decided to stay put at one spot and wait for an empty lot.

I was lucky, when I drove into one of the lanes, there wasn’t any cars waiting, which means I had the top priority as soon as any car moves out of the parking lot. After 5 minutes, there was still no sign of any cars leaving. However, a white Honda CR-V had joined me in the queue waiting. A few more minutes had passed and there was still no movement. I was getting impatient.


I looked into my rear view window, and was surprised to find that the Honda CR-V was reversing into an empty lot.

“How could we have missed it?” Both my friend and I could not believe that we actually did not see a car leaving the parking lot.

“Well, since we did not see it, we just have to wait for the next empty lot. We can’t possibly ask the driver to let us have the lot, right?” We blamed ourselves for not paying attention, and continued with our conversation.

“Knock Knock.” Suddenly a man appeared next to our car and knocked at the window. I couldn’t figure out what he was saying, so I wind down the window.

“Excuse me, are you waiting for a parking lot?” The man pointed to the Honda CR-V, and asked politely with a smile. It was then that I realized he was the driver of the Honda. “Yes”, I replied.

“Oh okie, I will drive my car out and let you have the lot.” I could not believe what I heard, so I asked, “Are you sure you don’t want the lot?”

“Sure. The parking lot was yours to begin with. In fact, I sounded my car horn at you to tell you there is an empty lot, but you probably did not hear it. I’ll go and move my car out now.”

“You sure you don’t want the lot?” At that point, I was just too stunned and all that I could respond was to seek confirmation that he did not want the parking lot.

“Sure.” I thanked him, and he went back to his car and vacated the parking lot for me.

“It is unbelievable that there are actually such nice people in this world.” My friend and I echoed each other’s feeling.

I felt really good and had a nice evening. Thank you, Mr Gentleman, your nice gesture made my day!

No comments: