Monday, November 12, 2007

Christmas Cards

I bought a box of Christmas cards last week, almost 7 weeks before Christmas Day. This is the first time in many years that I bought the cards early. Normally, I waited till the last minute to get the cards; as a result I did not have much choice as most of the cards would be sold out by then.

It has been my practice to buy Christmas presents for my staff, close colleagues and friends – in appreciation of their support, friendship and contribution.

In the earlier years, I would make my own little gift tags/cards to go with the presents. Over the years, I became lazy – I would just buy the Christmas cards, but I still put in effort in writing meaningful message to every individual, then the message became simpler, after a while the Christmas cards became just simple gift tags, and the message became “Merry Christmas” to everybody. At times, I even used post-it note instead of a proper gift tag.

I know how much it means when a person receives a card with personalized message written on it, as I am also one of the recipients of Christmas gifts. Everytime when I receive such “special” cards, I felt very touched and I would read the message again and again.

So for this year, I decided to start early, not just in buying Christmas cards, but in putting some thoughts into what I want to write on the cards.

I promised myself that I would get my Christmas presents and Christmas cards ready as early as possible, so the next thing that I will do is to draw up a list of people whom I plan to buy presents for!

No comments: