Monday, November 5, 2007

Say Hello and Keep in Touch

An e-mail came in this morning; it was from my ex-boss. I opened it, and here’s what it said, “hello, ain't we supposed to meet for lunch after my travel? how about meeting up this Fri?”

I was surprised, as I did not expect him to remember about this lunch. I wanted to catch up with him in Sep but he was travelling, so he suggested that we meet in end Oct. I said ok and promised to re-arrange when the date gets closer, but when end Oct came, I changed my mind about meeting up with him, thus I did not follow-up.

After reading his e-mail, I drafted a reply to say ok, but I held back, “Do I really want to meet him?”

During lunch time, I mentioned this e-mail to one of my colleagues, and he said, “that’s nice of him, at least you still have a place in his heart.” And because of what he said, I came back from lunch and sent out the e-mail to my ex-boss.

I have to admit it, while I am hesitant to meet up with my ex-boss, I do appreciate him taking the initiative to keep in touch from time to time – a simple email saying hello or asking how’s things, is good enough to warm my heart.

I look around myself, I am indeed grateful that I have many friends who would drop me a hello e-mail or phone call once in a while, send me birthday wishes every year or send me e-card/SMS during festive seasons.

Sometimes, when I received these greetings, I felt guilty, as I am usually not the type taking the initiative to maintain relationship, and yet these friends still remember me. Perhaps all my friends know me too well, thus they still stick with me, haha.

But really, I have no excuse, I know very well that I need to do my part too, so tonight I am going to drop an e-mail to say hello to one of my old friends.



No comments: