Friday, November 2, 2007

Good morning, this is your breakfast.

I got out of my car, dragged my feet and walked listlessly towards my office. I felt very sleepy and tired. Today is Friday, but for once, I did not have the TGIF feeling!

Gosh, how am I going to get through the day? I have a few meetings today and I need to get a few pieces of work done by end of the day. Oh no, can someone please help me?

I was staring at my screen when one of my colleagues walked in, “Good morning, this is your breakfast – croissant and apple tea.”

“Thanks! Wow, I only asked for a cup of coffee or tea, but you come with a croissant too. Btw, how do you know what drink to buy for me?”

“I asked the lady at the cafĂ©. She said you normally drink coffee in the afternoon, and in the morning you will have tea, and apple tea is what you favourite.”

“Hey, thank you.”

This nice gesture from her was definitely a pleasant surprise to me as I did not expect her to take my joke seriously – I told her yesterday that she ought to treat all of us to a cup of coffee/tea since she passed her examination.

All of a sudden, I did not feel sleepy anymore. I felt fully awake and rejuvenated. It was amazing how fast my mood changed. My day went on well despite the hectic schedule I had. At the end of the day, I accomplished what I set out to do today and I felt good.

Today, I was reminded of one very important lesson in life – it is these “little things” that that bring joy and happiness to our life - a friendly smile, the note that says “thank you”, a flower left on your desk, a cup of hot chocolate when you wake up, a birthday wish, a hug from your loved one, etc.

The “little things” that make a great difference!

No comments: