Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Standing at the Crossroads


“This is one of those rare moments in life when you find yourself looking back on where you have been, while at the same time looking forward to the future.

Behind you are precious memories of experiences that you will never forget, heartfelt emotions that will fade but never disappear, and ideas that will change in form but remain in substance. Ahead of you are new challenges and goals. They may seem mere shadows today, but they will one day be central to your life.

It seems such a paradox to look backward and forward at once, but the significance of any achievement exists in that very contradiction. Without your past, you have nothing on which to build your future. Without the future, your past would have no opportunity to come into full bloom.”
… Pamela Koehlinger

This piece of paper has been pinned on the wall since 2005. I can’t remember where I copied it from. I think it is from one of those quotation books that I bought. I love this poem, because it has more than once, helped me to put things in perspective.

I wrote this poem in the autograph to one of my colleagues when he left the company a few years ago to embark on his 2nd career, a career that is totally different from what he was in then.

Today, I find myself in the same situation. I have been standing at the crossroads for a long time, more than a year in fact. It is not easy standing here – I was once confused, disheartened, discouraged and I felt helpless. But I have gotten over this now, I have learnt to let go, learnt to detach and learnt to look forward. I believe I have now found the route that I want to travel and discovered what I truly want to do in my 2nd half. It has been a long way …

I know what I need to do next, but I am still standing at the crossroads. I look forward to the day that I gather enough courage and determination to let go completely and move on …




No comments: